7 Habits of Truly Happy People by SESAN KAREEM
One of the genuine needs of human is happiness. People spend their entire life looking for true happiness. They work night and day just to become successful in order to find joy. However it seems happiness is so difficult to find nowadays in our world of show off and materialism. Many people are frustrated, unhappy and depressed because they haven’t even define what happiness means to them and how they can achieve true happiness.
Achieving true happiness is not that difficult. Truly happy people have developed habits for over 6,000 years of human existence. There are days I have been sad and frustrated so I know how it feels to feel helpless, hopeless and worthless. However, regardless of what life throws at me I have developed the habits of staying on top of my game, finding my true happiness and sharing that state of joy and peace with people around me.
The 7 Habits below we help you to achieve true happiness.
1. Be authentic: Those who are truly happy are true to themselves. They accept who they are, embrace their strengths and weaknesses and are comfortable in their own skin. Happiness naturally flows to those who embrace their uniqueness and love who they are wholeheartedly. Be thyself.
2. Take responsibility: You can’t be truly happy if you don’t take responsibility for your actions. Truly happy people complain less, blame less and compare less. They take personal responsibility for their mistakes, failures, success and happiness. Being truly happy is your personal responsibility. Take charge.
3. Define what happiness means to you: Many people what to be truly happy but they have never taken the time to define what happiness really means to them. Little wonder why many people are not happy. To me, happiness means doing what I love, taking care of my family, achieving my set goals and becoming better on a daily basis. Define what true happiness means to you and work towards your standard.
4. Surround yourself with good people: People have enormous effect on our emotional state in life. Therefore, you must be careful who you surround yourself with. You can’t surround yourself with negative people and expect to be truly happy. You need positive vibes and energy to sail through the tough journey of life. When life throws you heavy punches it is good people that will encourage you to stand up, move up, show up in order to step up.
5. Commit to personal growth. You can’t be truly happy if you are stagnant in life. True happiness comes to those who are committed to never ending improvement in who they are and what they do. Your progress is a serious business and you must focus your attention to it. Becoming better and better on a daily basis should be your mantra. Tony Robbins wisely said, “Happiness equals progress.”
6. Be a blessing to others: Happiness doesn’t come from what we get it only comes from what we give. If you develop the habit of consciously giving back to others you will experience true happiness. And we all have what we can give. So give freely, contribute wholeheartedly and share graciously without expecting anything in return. You can’t buy happiness with money or knowledge but you can use both to create happiness if you use them to bless others.
7. Count your blessings: Gratitude is a sure way to achieve true happiness. In fact, gratitude is your door to unlimited joy, peace and pleasure. If you develop the habit of consciously counting your blessings which by they way they are numerous and you feel sincere gratitude for these blessings, your life will be filled with positive energy and contentment. You see, you can’t be grateful and still feel miserable or bitter or frustrated. So, be good to yourself and develop the habit of gratitude.
While life is a combination of good times and bad times, the 7 Habits elucidated above will help you to be happy, stay happy and share happiness with others. It will help you to lift your head above the challenges of life during difficult moments. It will enable you to stay afloat during good times.
I can guarantee you that the more you inculcate these 7 Habits into your lifestyle, the more your experience true happiness with all its benefits.
To your true happiness!
Sesan Kareem, a life coach helps individuals and organisations achieve lasting results by coaching them to have fast tempo for action and a bias for bottom line. He writes from Lagos.